Friday 6 February 2015

Elsa in Bergen, Norway Part II


The next location was suppose to be atop on of the many snow covered mountains that surrounded Bergen, and to get up there, we were to take the Ulriken Cable Car. Upon seeing the entrance to the cable cars, though, we ran into a problem.


The snow on top of the building fell, creating a wall of snow in front of the door. Everyone around was highly amused; it was pretty funny.

We scrapped that plan and went to Gamlehaugen Castle. If the royal family was in town, then they would be staying at the castle and no one would be allowed to visit. Luckily, it was open and families littered the snow covered hills with various ski and sledding related activities.

Photo by Kylie Smiley

Now I told Stian that kids often came up to me as Elsa, and here he got to witness it first hand. Even with my train off and me wearing a coat, the kids knew. Once I put on the rest of the costume, though, it was over. Between shots, people kept coming up to me asking for pictures. One woman even asked me to wish her ill daughter to feel better. I had done that before as Elsa this past WonderCon, but this was the first time I did in Norwegian. I think I said everything correctly on the fourth or so take.

As we left, some kids followed us, others stared, some parents filmed me, and one woman said I had beautiful hair. To which I could only reply to in my head, "Thanks, I bought it on Amazon."

Across the street from the Science Museum was a park with arch bridges and frozen ponds. We took some photos of me on the bridge, and it was at this point my fingers began to freeze so we did this location quickly.

Walking out of the park, we looked at the Science Museum and noticed their cafe dining room had a perfect view of where we were doing our shoot. Did I mention this was a children's science museum?

Little faces were pressed against the glass waiting intently as if they were watching 'Frost' at that moment. That's when Stian voiced an evil idea of dragging me into the museum and announcing on the PA system that Elsa was there. I'm not overly fond of children, I'm more tolerant thanks to my time work for Disney, but still, they aren't my favourite.

So...we needed snow, and a mountain. That left the Floibanen Funincular. I had gone up there the day before, but was more than happy to go back up. If Frozen Cow Cafe was up there, then I would never have gone back home.

This is where people went to cross country ski (my favourite kind of skiing) or sledding, and where to get amazing views of the city. During non-snow times, there are many hiking trails in this area, but I don't want to think of that area without snow, that isn't my happy place.

We walked to the frozen lake and found the perfect spot. There were a lot of people around, but neither of us minded, so we set up in that perfect spot along the frozen lake. Oh yeah, and the sun was setting so it one of those perfect, natural light times that director John Ford loved.

After those photos, and a few photos with people milling around, we went to a secluded area of the forest with thick snow and did some shots there as well. It really was the perfect way to end the shoot and the day.

It was here we parted ways. I couldn't leave this winter wonderland quite yet. Also, I was on a mountain in Norway dressed as Elsa...I couldn't just not 'let it go'. I went to an even more secluded area and did a really, really bad cover of 'Let It Go'.



The next day was bittersweet as it was the day I had to leave my precious Norway. The morning was spent organizing my group's tea party information and getting that e-mailed to our chefs and packing. My flight wasn't until 7:00pm, so I walked around town with all my bags visiting places I enjoyed like the Old Fortress. Around 2:00, I left for the airport, where I sat reading until my flight.

My last view of Norway was the moonlit fjords as we flew over them one night before the full moon. Then I landed in London to be greeted with a delayed train and a new roommate.

Never in the five months it took to complete the costume, amongst the late nights of hand beading and Frozen re-runs, did I ever think I would wear this costume in Norway. Never. I did wear it in Disneyland when I twas half-finished and the film hadn't even been released yet, but Norway was never planned.


Even now I am still kind of in disbelief, but I was there. And there had lots of snow.

Words cannot express how grateful I am to Stian for such a fantastic experience and I often find myself just staring at some of the photos in awe and bewilderment that I wasn't just photoshopped in.

Norway was more than I expected. I was a little disappointed that I didn't find as many Norse Mythology things as I wanted, but that didn't dampen my spirits too much. I very much would love to go back.

I do have three other Elsa costumes in the works. Not to mention Loki and Sigyn costumes. Just saying.






-Charlotte































Here is Stian's Facebook page
Here is his website.
And here is his blog recount of our photoshoot day.

No comments:

Post a Comment